Monday, October 29, 2007

New tricks but not all treats

Ethan has learned a few new tricks. First he is walking like crazy (with assistance) and stands on his own holding on to something (crib, wall, sofa), and is mastering his walker. Unfortunately he has also learned how to manipulate his way into Mom and Dad's bed at 2AM.

When he was sick two weeks ago I slept with him in the spare bedroom a couple of nights because he was practically up all night and Patrick had to work so he needed his sleep. Now he has decided that when he wakes up between 2 and 3AM he needs to find a more comfortable bed and will scream for up to 2 hours- that's right folks, I am up from 2-4AM. Finally I crumble like a cheap muffin a carry him off to bed. We have tried changing the diaper, feeding him, giving him tylenol (suspecting teething), rocking him, everything! No matter what, even if he falls back asleep he is up every 15-20 minutes thereafter until he wins. This weekend we attempted tough love with letting him cry for 15 minutes then going in briefly only to let him cry again. After 2 hours we gave in. I spoke with the doctor today and since she saw him last Monday she said she thinks it is behavioral and we will just have to suck it up and let him cry for up to several hours, yes HOURS, to break him. Lord help us.

No comments: