Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Confession as a Stay at Home Mom- 6 Weeks Old

Oh what a blogable (if there is such a word) week this has been. It has taken me time to post due to the internal debate of whether or not to let this information go public. As a public service and a tribute to all Stay at Home Moms I will unveil the most memorable ten minutes of my week as an honest account of what I feel happens in so many homes yet goes unsaid.

It was a typical Wednesday morning with my sweet baby (Happy 6 Weeks Alex) and my terrific, I refuse to say terrible, two year old. Ethan was having one of his days. As a fabulous two year old he was whining about nearly everything, pushing every button he thought he could push, pulling every bit of attitude he could muster into every little sarcastic comment he made, and listening to about every third instruction he was given. The morning had already seen a few time outs, which have now escalated into alone time in his bedroom with the shades drawn and door closed- he began asking for time out on the stairs so that he could roll off the steps and climb the outside of the staircase when I wasn't looking (yes, he made it up six stairs before I found him dangling, the laughter gave him up). I told you this was a confession. But after lunch was when the ten minute memory began.

Ethan had just gotten up from lunch and was sitting on the sofa playing with a few toys. I was doing dishes in the kitchen, just around the corner, when I heard a loud crash! Then I hear, "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!" And there it was, used properly unrepeated at the moment (not that that has ever happened) as loud as thunder, Ethan's first curse. I nearly died. I'll be honest, of laughter. I am by no means proud of this but it instantly reminded me how little ears can hear the best. I contained myself before rounding the corner to find a big pile of toys and the lamp partially tipped next to the sofa. As I begin to clean this up Ethan announces, "I HAVE TO POOP!" We run to the bathroom. A few minutes later he runs out announcing he has finished. As I am cleaning him up and the ever-so-clean toilet of a two year old who has to "do it myself" I hear, "I PUKED!" Yes, Ethan had puked all over the kitchen floor. Not sick. Ethan's new trick whether at the table or not is to either gag himself or cough until he pukes. He does this to either not eat something he doesn't like, get attention, or be funny. So, he runs off and I begin to clean up puke. Around the corner again, approximately eight feet away, Alex has been sleeping this entire time. All of a sudden out of the corner of my eye I see Ethan wind up about to throw a ball at Alex! I yell, "ETHAN! We do not throw toys at baby brother." and in the most sarcastic of tones I only hear from one other larger boy in this house I hear, "OHHH, O-K-A-Y BETH!" I about died! I was rendered helpless. When asked again what he said he then repeated it laughing. The kid knows exactly what he is doing. I finished cleaning up the puke and laid him down for his nap. That day I fought every urge in my body not to crack a beer at noon, I waited until 4:30.

Ethan also had his first visit to the dentist. He did very well sitting in the chair, letting them count his teeth, checking out all the instruments and talking with the staff. When it came time for the cleaning he had no problem with them cleaning his finger but wanted no parts of the "tooth tickler", as they called it, coming anywhere near his mouth. We will stick to brushing for now.

Alex is doing great! He is sitting up with the assistance of the sofa or the bumbo. His smiles and coos are adorable. He is also staying awake for longer periods during the day. During tummy time he has rolled over twice from his stomach to his back and consistently rolls on his side. He bats at toys dangled in front of him and loves the same little dog rattle Ethan did. The precision weight method of mommy on scale with Alex has him weighing in at 13.1 lbs. He just keeps growing!

Bo, our fish, is on suicide watch. He successfully cleared the bowl yesterday. This was about a 3/4-1 inch jump for the little beta. Luckily we were eating lunch and saw him flopping. Ethan was hysterical but after returning Bo to his home we reassured him Bo was okay. Bo's water level was depleted before bedtime last night. We can't take any chances.

Now that it has taken me three days to complete this post I will publish it before Friday rolls around yet again. Time flies when you are having fun!

Note: I keep forgetting to mention... We will be back in Michigan at the end of September and beginning of October for Alex's Baptism which will take place in Detroit on October 3. We hope to see everyone then.


Smiley Man


Can you feel the love?


Watching Cartoons


Bathtime- Alex's thoughts: Please Don't Splash Me!


First Visit to Dentist- This is what the Fear of God looks like

1 comment:

Stacy McFall said...

I have never laughed sooooo hard!!! oh my gosh, you have your hands fun. At least it's entertaining!