Grandma Hurford visited the first week of December to help with the boys while I was away at training. Thank you Grandma for everything!
Grandma Lucy was able to visit this past week to celebrate Christmas and my birthday. Yes it was the big 3-0. That's all I have to say about that. The boys had a wonderful time with Grandma. Ethan kept Grandma Lucy busy pretending, building a gingerbread train, making crafts, playing trains and cars, and even took Grandma on his "train to the city" to see the "huge Christmas tree" at Rockefeller Center. Thank you Grandma Lucy for all of the memories and everything else.

One of our tasks while Grandma Lucy was in town was to visit Santa. Ethan did very well waiting in line and made friends with the little boy in front of us. Ethan had two goals: 1. Ask for Emily (Thomas the Train Collection) and 2. Take Santa's deposition about the reindeer. When the moment of truth came it appeared as if he had shackles on his legs. Five hundred tiny babysteps forward and we made it the six feet to Santa's lap. Santa was very good about engaging Ethan and getting him to sit on his lap. He appropriately asked what he wanted for Christmas to which Ethan muttered a very quiet, "Emily." Although he had practiced the previous 24 hours his line of questioning with regards to the reindeer, I had to help him by asking what he wanted to know about Santa's reindeer. He asked, "How many are there?" Thank God Santa gave the traditional answer of nine that I had been feeding him. No tears though and he even sat on his lap for the picture. Alex on the other hand slept the entire time. As we were walking away, after Santa had already held him for the sleeping baby picture, he woke up. I begged the manager for one more picture and we slipped back in for a quick shot. Luckily both kids kept their eyes open.
When we got home I showed Ethan the picture to which he responded, "I do not look happy. I do not. I do not." I nearly fell on the floor laughing. Later that day he explained to Patrick exactly what happened and reenacted the face he gave for the pictures. He told Patrick he gave that face on purpose to look sad. Then it hit me! He has a book where the Big Hungry Bear is sad and cries because he has no presents so the little mouse feels sorry for him and gives him a sleigh full of gifts. The little scammer is already trying to work his magic with Santa!

Not the official photo but you get the idea.
The boys are great otherwise! On December 11, Alex started saying "Da-Da". It is the cutest thing ever. He also now says "Ba-Ba" and is reaching out when he wants to be picked up. He is becoming quite the Momma's boy wanting to be held. The poor little guy is still sick and still taking daily breathing treatments as well as sleeping with the crib wedge. The poor kid has been sick since we returned from Michigan in October! He can fully turn himself around on his belly and can inchworm-army crawl across a blanket. Big, strong, cutest baby in the world!
Ethan is Ethan. I have to stop typing all the funny things he says because it happens all day every day. He has his entourage of girlfriends at school. They dance around him during music time, he sits with them at lunch, and most recently I was approached by a mother. Adrianna, his main girlfriend, apparently went home and told her father, "Don't worry Daddy, I have Ethan." To which her father's response was, "Who is this Ethan kid?" I reassured the mother I was as concerned as she was :) Patrick and I have decided an all boys school is definitely in his future. Ethan is super excited for Santa but is even more excited for Florida. It is amazing his recollection of details from our trip last year (when he was 18 months old). He has talked about the hermit crab we found on the rocks and details about the pool that we do not have in pictures. It is quite impressive. He can not wait to do cannonballs in the pool this year with Daddy and has even practiced them on the bed with his life jacket on. 8 days to go!

Patrick and I are so excited for Christmas this year. Alex's first Christmas and Ethan's first year of full comprehension and anticipation of the events. It is going to be a fun week!




Alex's first wrapped present

Big Brother helping out

No comments:
Post a Comment