Ethan Joseph Hurford
Born: April 12, 2007, 2:00 AM
Height: 20.5 inches
Weight: 7 lbs, 15 oz
Ethan is absolutely perfect! I do not know where to begin other than to say I guess they were labor pains! We went to the hospital at 5:30AM and were admitted at 9:30AM. I had a natural labor progression that the doctor said was textbook- until the pushing part. I have to say that although I enjoyed the experience of contractions, I loved the experience of an epidural. Thank God for drugs! When it came time to push at 10:25 PM I was ready to see my baby. But, after an hour and 45 min of pushing he had only dropped one station. I was exhausted. The doctor advised us that she wanted to perform a c-section because she felt that at that point he had less than a 50/50 chance of dropping on his own in the maximum 3 hour pushing window. I did not want a c-section but had no fight left in me. That is where my best friend, the best labor coach in the world, and my champion stepped in. Patrick went to bat for me with the delivery nurses support asking if I could rest and try to push just a little longer. They agreed to redose the epidural, let me sleep for 30 minutes, and let me try pushing for another 30 min. After 30 minutes if there was no change we would have the c-section. So, I pushed again and before I knew it, although I thought they were lying, they said the baby was only a few pushes away. I only believed them when the doctor put on the rain gear to catch and then Ethan was born. Thank you Patrick for fighting for me when I couldn't.
It was scary at first because he was unresponsive- they didn't even let Pat cut the cord. As I watched what seemed like hours go by and my husbands smile turn to concern and the doctor intently watching and asking about more suction from accross the room I started to pray. And then I heard the most wonderful sound- my son crying. Because I had spiked a fever during delivery and because Ethan had been a little unresponsive they took him to the Critical Care Nursery. I was only able to hold him briefly.
He remained in the CCN until we went home Friday evening but is just fine. He is eating like a champion and is absolutely perfect! It is so amazing how you can just fall so in love with this little person instantly. He makes my life feel so much more complete.
Patrick is such a great Daddy! He just adores Ethan and everything he does. It is so precious to watch them together. Because I am breastfeeding Patrick has taken to the jobs of annoying Ethan when he is trying to fall asleep while eating- although that doesn't happen much anymore and changing diapers. He is quite good at swaddling as well.
We are home and loving every minute with our little family. We just feel so blessed to have Ethan in our lives. Our son.
I must apologize in advance: I am working on the pictures.
Our home computer is broken and our work computers will not let us upload pictures. As soon as I can I will post our little man's first photos.
Sunday, April 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I am so happy for you! You've been in my thoughts and I have been checking for pictures everyday! I'll call you mid week to see how you are doing!
Hugs.....
Stefanie
That little outfit looks familair! ;)
oh my gosh Beth...he is beautiful! I'm so glad everything went well and you are all safe and healthy!
What a wonderful little family! Love the pics...keep 'em commin!
He is such a doll! Congratulations on your new addition!
We commend your effort to follow your instincts and continue to push. We were told you were a trooper, Beth. We are proud of you both and love you!!!
How is everything going? One of these days I will remember to call! ;)
Post a Comment