Friday, July 31, 2009

5 Weeks and the Inevitable

Alex is officially 5 weeks old and is doing great! Big Al, as I affectionately call him, tipped the scales at his one month pediatrician visit at 12.2 lbs! 95th percentile and growing stronger by the minute. He is eating 5oz every 2-3 hours, is in 3-6 month clothes and some 6 month items and is already in size 2 diapers. A little perspective on this is that Ethan was this size when he was 3 and 4 months old. The doctors comment was, "I would never suggest a baby is fat, I'm only saying to make sure he is hungry before you feed him. (Pause) And he's not spitting up after every meal?" My reply was, "Obviously not." He has great head control and can kick himself forward. His other big news for the week: Alex is officially smiling! He has given us random smiles for the last two weeks but nothing consistent. Now, Ethan can get a smile almost every time. I can only get one occasionally.

And the inevitable... "Momma, When is Alex going home?" We knew the day would come. That day was Wednesday. He took the answer well. I explained that this was Alex's home too and asked him if he thought that would be alright. His response was, "Sure." Hasn't brought it up since.

Ethan continues to crack me up daily. As I hear is normal, someone please reaffirm this belief, with multiple children it is difficult to feel like you are not giving them both as much attention as they need and you would like them to have. Ethan has his moments but has been very patient about playing by himself while I feed Alex or when I am holding him. He has become my "Super Helper" and as a team we are juggling through the day. Classic Ethan today. While changing Alex, Ethan was playing in a toy stroller behind me. I hear, "Momma, I'm stuck." Which he often says kidding around just to get me to come and pick him up. I paid little attention telling him to just get up. His response, "No Momma, I'm REALLY stuck!" Sure enough, I turned around to find that he had busted the seat and had his bum wedged in the hole of the frame. I couldn't help but laugh.

Otherwise we are all good. I just wanted to say thank you again to Grandma Lucy and Grandma and Grandpa Hurford for visiting us in the last few weeks. We truly appreciate the time you took to be with us and everything you did for all of us while you were here. We can't wait to see you all again soon!



All this sleep must mean he's growing



Sumo Alex in his Bumbo



The Hurford Boys



Lazy Sunday Afternoon



Grandpa Hurford and Alex

2 comments:

Steffie B. said...

OMW.....Beth.....he is one big baby....I can't believe he is already in the bumbo????? What are you feeding this child? lol

And Ethans question of when he is going home????? CLASSIC!!! I love it.....oh the joys of sibs!

My house is crazy.....it's great! ;)

So when are you going to talk to me about adopting? hint hint.....you soooooo need that little girl! ;)

Elizabeth said...

Love all the pics and stories. Especially the pic of baby Al on the dinner table in the Bumpo. Pass the ketchup, kiddo!
Take Care, and thanks for all the updates. I love hearing about Ethan's antics and your coping skills, Beth. Good on ya for waiting until 4:30 p.m. for Beer o'clock.
Aloha ohana!
-Beth in Honolulu formerly of G.R.